"Open Sound Control (OSC) is a protocol for communication among computers, sound synthesizers, and other multimedia devices that is optimized for modern networking technology. Bringing the benefits of modern networking technology to the world of electronic musical instruments, OSC's advantages include interoperability, accuracy, flexibility, and enhanced organization and documentation." Read more here
You can communicate with the LF1 using OSC messages. Each effect has various exposed parameters that you can adjust (e.g., color and size). If an effect is selected to run as Live (Labs feature), it will be computed in real-time during project playback by the LF1. Thus, you can adjust the effect's parameters using OSC messages simultaneously during playback.
Learn more about Editing OSC Mappings in Lightform Creator.
Using the TouchOSC Mobile App
I. Download the TouchOSC Mobile App
IIa. Download and apply our custom layout
Once you have the app, you can download our "layout," which is a custom UI for controlling the device.
On Android, you can install this file directly by downloading it on your phone. On iOS, you will need to download the file to your computer, then use iTunes to copy the file to your phone — see this article: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201301. Once the file is on your device, you need to set it as the current layout.
Turn off "Touch Messages (/z)" in TouchOSC→Options
IIb. Creating your own TouchOSC layout
When creating your own TouchOSC layout, if using buttons (e.g., for play/stop/next slide/etc), you must turn off "Send on Release" — see this article: https://hexler.net/docs/touchosc-controls-reference#push. If you don't do this, pressing and then releasing a button will generate 2 events (e.g., pressing a button for "next slide" would actually advance you 2 slides instead of 1).
III. Using the OSC app
The current version of our OSC layout is useful for modifying effects which have been uploaded to an LF1. After finishing the setup steps above and publishing a project with at least one Live Effect, follow these steps:
- Connect your phone to the same WiFi network that your LF1 and computer are connected to
- Open the TouchOSC App
- Tap the OSC line under CONNECTIONS and select your LF1 from the list of FOUND HOSTS
- Press < TouchOSC in the upper left to go back to the main settings page, then Done in the upper right to go to the Lightform layout. You can press the gray circle in the upper right of the layout to get back to the settings page
- In Lightform Creator, switch to the Control Page and open the OSC Mappings Window
- Click Learn next to the parameter that you’d like to connect to a control in the OSC app
- Touch one of the buttons in the app or move one of the sliders to associate that control with the parameter that your LF1 is learning
- Now when you use that control, the parameter will change in real time on your LF1