You can access the Preferences dialog through the Lightform Creator main menu.
On macOS click Lightform > Preferences
On Windows click Edit > Preferences
This page contains a variety of video-related playback settings used within the Artboard on the Design page.
Playback Renderer Frame Rate - This setting specifies the target real-time rendering frame rate. Choosing a higher value increases the fluidity of the rendering and mouse interaction, at the cost of increased CPU and GPU utilization. Possible values:
- Less than 30 - If you’re on a mid to low end laptop, and the application’s responsiveness feels a little sluggish, you may find it helpful to lower this value to 20.
- 30 - The default value.
- Greater than 30 - Setting this value above 30 is generally not necessary, though if you’re on a high end system the fluidity will be improved.
Load and Decompress Imported Video Files From Memory - This setting indicates which video asset files should be fully loaded (in their compressed form) into memory before being played back. When a video asset file is decompressed from memory, it is generally much faster than playing it back from its original location within the file system and should result in smoother playback performance. This is especially true if the file is stored on a mechanical hard drive (not an SSD). Generally, you will only want to fully load videos that are small relative to the amount of RAM you have on your system. Possible values:
- Never - This default setting is most suitable if you are on a low memory (~8GB RAM) computer. Videos will be played back from their original location on the file system.
- At or Below - This setting allows you to choose a size limit on video files that are loaded fully into memory. For example, if you select “50 MB”, only video asset files 50 MB or less in size will be fully loaded into memory.
- Always - All video asset files are fully loaded into memory. This is a convenience setting that is useful if you are on a computer with a lot of RAM (32GB or more) relative to the size of the videos you are using.
User Interface Preferences
This page contains general-purpose settings for the user interface.
User Interface Sizing - Adjust the user interface sizing
This page contains settings for Preview
- Show Cursor: Toggle to show or hide the cursor.
Lightform Creator will stream your cursor position on the artboard to the Lightform device. The cursor position will be projected as a yellow, full-screen crosshair precisely at the correlated position on your real-world scene.
The cursor will always be streamed as the front layer, above the mask stream.
- Show Masks: Toggle to show or hide Surface masks
Lightform Creator will stream all of the masks you create in the artboard to the Lightform device. The masks will be projected in white precisely at their relative locations on your real-world scene. You can also stream your mask while streaming content - if you select a mask while streaming content, the content will stop streaming and the mask will be streamed in white.
- Creating Masks
When creating masks with the Pen and Shapes tools, your masks will be streamed and updated in real-time in projected space.
When creating masks with the Brush, Quick Select, or Magic Wand tools, your masks during creation will not be streamed and updated in real-time in projected space. Instead, your finished masks (after clicking Done) will be streamed in projected space.
- Editing/Moving Masks
When editing or moving any of your masks, the edits and movements will be streamed and updated in real-time in projected space.
- Creating Masks
- Video Stream: Lightform Creator will stream your content (images, videos, effects) to the Lightform device. You can choose between low, medium, and high quality.
- Enable NDI Output (LFC only): When streaming, Creator can optionally stream via NDI which makes streaming to an LFC faster. However, some computers/networks seem to perform worse when using NDI so this option to turn it off exists.
This page contains some shortcuts to directories on your computer that support the application. It is sometimes helpful to reference these when working with the Lightform team on support issues.
Data Directory - The directory containing application-specific data.
Temporary Directory - The directory containing application-specific temporary data.
Send Analytics - Toggle to share analytics with Lightform