A log of all of the changes and improvements to Lightform Creator and the LF1 Firmware
Released February 2, 2019
- Slides can now transition instantly
- Slide fade transitions are now disabled by default, they can be optionally set to fade in, fade out, or both
- Redesigned Stream drop down now allows full control of cursor, mask, and video preferences.
- The Control page now has a brightness slider to control the brightness on the device.
- A number of application events now generate 'toast' messages that appear temporarily, replacing modal dialogs from the previous releases.
- Added a "What's New" button to the Welcome Page to make it easier to open these Release Notes
- All built-in effects now seamlessly loop and can be controlled using the Loop Frequency slider
- Added 'Set Slide Duration' button to properties panel, which sets the duration of the active slide to match the duration of video content
- It is now more obvious when Labs is on. Look for the yellow beaker.
- Removed a number of unusable menu items from the 'Labs' menu.
- Added 'feathering' and 'offset' properties to the Surfaces properties panel.
Fixes and Improvements
- Published projects don't produce a green flicker when looping.
- Pixel-based/raster tools are much more stable.
- Many other stability and performance improvements.
- Improved various scrolling speeds when using the trackpad on Windows.
- Updated the all project-related menu items in the 'File' menu to be enabled/disabled as appropriate.
- The application now cleans up its temporary directory on shutdown.
- Fixed issue with some asset data not being released when closing the active project.
- Canceling any of the pixel-based input modes (paintbrush, magic wand, quick select) is now very fast. Previously there would be a noticeable pause if you were cancelling or closing the application after performing many operations in the canvas.
- Fixed automatic formatting of effect parameter display names in the properties panel. Some names had incorrect capitalization.
- When changing a scan image property that requires image calculations, these calculations are now performed in the background, making the user interface more responsive.
- Fixed issue with draggable color control and 2D position control creating too many undo/redo actions.
- Modified the behavior when selecting a non-existent recent file from the ’Recent Files’ menu, presenting an option to remove the file from the recent files list.
- Modified behavior when selecting the current project’s location from the ‘Recent Files’. It now does nothing if the project has not been modified.
- Control page UI styles are now unified when Labs is on.
Due to library compatibility, we have removed support for MacOS 10.11 (OS X El Capitan). MacOS 10.12 (macOS Sierra) is the latest version now officially supported by Lightform Creator.
- It is recommended to save often :)
- If you cannot update your firmware, please submit a bug report, and our support team will reach out to assist you.
- If you are experiencing regular crashes in the software, please submit a ticket or bug report so we can work together on a fix.
- When performing CPU intensive operations on certain machines, it may take 5-10 seconds to see the results presented on the canvas. This will be addressed in a future release. Such CPU intensive operations include: Quick select and the initial loading and processing of a project that has scan images.
- Support for undoing/redoing strokes with quick select has been disabled due to its high memory consumption. This will be restored in a near-future release.
Released January 14, 2019
- Added 'Increment & Save Project' menu item to the 'File' menu
- Saves the current project to an automatically named project file in the same directory as the previously saved location of the project
- e.g., if the project was saved to a file named 'Project.lit', using 'Increment & Save Project' results in a file being saved to 'Project.1.lit', and then 'Project.2.lit', and so on
- It also saves the current project if it has been changed. If the project has never been saved before, you will be prompted for a save location
- Incremented project files do not appear in the recent files menu
- Added 'Archive Project…' menu item to the 'File' menu. This feature saves the current project to the selected directory and copies all of the project’s assets to that new directory
- The saved project file references the copied asset files (not the files in the current project), making it suitable for distribution or backup purposes
- The saved project file is separate from the current project: it does not become the current project file and it does not appear in the recent files menu
- Modified the project asset importing feature to instead directly reference the chosen assets, instead of copying them to the project directory, which was the behavior in previous releases. This makes it faster to bring your own video assets into your project, and makes it easier for you to modify your own image assets
- Added toggle button in each slide to enable/disable the slide for publishing. This makes it possible to exclude some slides during publishing
- Added tooltips for lock and visibility buttons in layers panel
- Various improvements to curve fitting, improving performance of path calculations
- Fixed pixel access issues associated with the magic wand tool. The selection is more reliable now
- Download previous scan images is now out of Labs
- New Labs Feature: Labs > Export Selected Surface Mask
Released January 4, 2019
- Device name now shows above the canvas artboard
- Fixed an issue that some effects exhibited when published
- Fixed an issue that would cause projects to not save in certain scenarios
- General bug fixes and stability improvements
Released December 14, 2018
- Added 'Recent Project Files' submenu to 'File' menu
- Added a support for hue/saturation control for effect parameters and modified the following built-in effects to use it:
- Color Flood, Depth Trace, Ghost Flash, Hue Picker, Light House, Rainbow Edges, Tron
- Improved surface grab handle behavior in the artboard
- Updated checkbox style to look like a switch
- Fixed surface snapping issues when the surface filled the entire artboard
Released December 09, 2018
- Software updater fix
Released December 08, 2018
- New Labs Feature: you can now apply blend modes to layers to create even more custom looks. Enable Labs under Help > Enable Labs
- Many effects now have better transparency support
- Fixed issues associated with project file loading. This change moves the application out of pre-release mode and into official release mode. As part of this change, old project files will no longer be supported. Such projects will cause an error message to be displayed. Going forward, the application will be backwards compatible with newly created project files.
- Application settings are now automatically saved and loaded:
- The application window being repositioned at startup.
- The ‘last project directory’ used in the project open and save dialogs.
- The ‘last asset directory’ used in the import media dialog.
- Added minimum/maximum ranges in the properties panel UI for effect parameters. This applies to floating point values and 2D point values.
- Fixed various issues associated with Asian-language file paths.
Released November 30, 2018
- 17 new effects!
- 13 built-in videos and 6 built-in image assets
- New Media Browser UI and improved media import drag and drop UX
- New Structure tool UI/UX. Double click with Structure tool to reveal mesh
- Dozens of UI improvements
- Better application dialogue windows
- Control Page UI is now cleaner. Live Effect Parameters are always shown.
- New Scan Property parameter to control Effect Edges
- Scan Brightness is now used by the raster selection tools
- Better and faster raster tools. Better conversion from raster to vector
- Videos should no longer hiccup when published to the device
- Better multi-line text control for Text tool
Released November 6, 2018
- Fixed a bug causing firmware update to fail on some computers.
- Pairing a device should no longer report success until the pairing is complete.
- Media browser now includes folders
- OSC learning and manual realignment from the control page have been optimized and should work as intended.
- Published projects had some issues with video glitching/restarting. This should now be fixed.
- Many UI/UX tweaks.
Released October 22, 2018
- New Installer
- Help Popover
- Undo/redo is now available
- Improved device communications to help network performance
- Video playback fixes and improvements
- In mask streaming mode: only selected surfaces are streamed (or if no selection, all are streamed)
- Various raster tool improvements
- Can specify the opacity of stroke and fill of a surface mask/geometry
- General stability and rendering optimizations
Released October 08, 2018
- New in-app firmware update workflow which will make firmware updating more robust
- Right click menu in the canvas to reveal contextual functions
- Scan Brightness can now be adjusted after a scan in the scan properties
- New Structure tool functionality
- Device pairing is now more robust and handles more edge cases
- Increased character spacing of all caps letters for improved legibility
- Publishing optimizations
- Double-clicking on a surface will change selection to the first child content element of the surface
- UI's of selected surfaces now drawn on top of all others for better picking/editing when surfaces overlap in Edit and Structure tools
Released September 13, 2018
- Live Effects with adjustable live effect parameters and editable OSC mappings in the Control Page. Note: you can only have ONE Live Effect per slide
- Play/pause/stop capabilities
- Modal dialog before closing project to prevent from inadvertently losing changes
- Delete Surfaces works (see Known Issues for deleting layers)
- Slides V1
- Render content to video V1
- Master Surfaces
- Entirely new Control Page (UI redesign coming soon): Next/Previous slide, Post-Publish Mesh Warp, Editable OSC Mappings, Live effect controls
- Built in App and Device Bug reporting. Help > Submit Bug Report
- New wifi-pairing workflow with UI, UX and networking improvements
- Publishing with Effects playback [speed+quality] behaves properly/as expected
- Timeline Synchronization between effects and videos
- Effects Panel work on Windows
- Pen Tool is improved
- More intuitive Scan Properties — Scan Properties + New Scan exist on the properties panel
- Can open projects with effects from the Design Page (see Known Issues for opening from the Welcome Page)
- Better formatting on most Windows machines
- Current device is displayed with Scans (more improvements coming soon)
- Half a dozen new icons in the layers panel & toolbar
- Better input and keyboard shortcut handling
- Rewrote many data types to support the concept of master surfaces existing on all slides
Released June 18, 2018
- New Device Test Card
- Added ESC/RETURN/UP/DOWN key functionality for the scan workflow
- Last used device now automatically selected in device list
- Double-clicking device in DeviceListView now selects the device and advances the scan workflow
- Allow variable video stream resolutions ("fast", "med", "high" quality)
- Magic wand and Quick select support color and depth
- Improved keyboard shortcut robustness
- Quick select & magic wand improvements
- Fixed issue with properties sometimes not being saved/loaded correctly
- Fixed occasional crash when closing a project (or closing the application)
- Fixed an issue with points not being selectable when loading a previously saved project
- Properties panel elements that take keyboard focus now release it when editing is done
- Color picker is now modal so it cannot be obscured by the application
- Fix issue in scan workflow where old camera images would load on new scans
- Better cursor behavior when switching back to Lightform from another application